Hirosaki Castle -- My Favorite Place in Northern Japan

I'm a US Navy veteran. I spent almost the entirety of my 4 year enlistment after basic training and military school in Northern Japan's Misawa Air Base. It's a joint base located in Aomori prefecture and the Japan Air Self-Defense Force hosts the US Air Force and the US Navy at this location. It's a beautiful base, boasting cherry blossoms in spring and festivals on and off base in the summer that aim to build a bond between the US military and it's host country.

Misawa Air Base in Spring
Mitsumasa Saito (October 4, 2010). Source: (The Asia-Pacific Journal)

Outside of the base, my favorite location to visit (especially in the spring) is Hirosaki Castle. It was built by the Tsugaru Clan in 1611 in the hirayama style -- which boasts sharp roof points and layered floors. While I've visited it and the park that hosts the castle at different points of the year, it's striking beauty is best appreciated during the spring during the annual cherry blossom festival.

Hirosaki Festival in Spring
Aomori Sightseeing Guide. Source: (article)

The blooming of the cherry blossom across the country is a celebrated event. News stations spend much of the start of the year predicting when the blooms will arrive, usually starting in the warmer south then gradually spreading north as the weather warms. The flowers only last about one to two weeks, and the idea of something so beautiful being fleeting is part of the charisma of these blooms. Cherry blossom festivals sprout around Japan the same time the blooms do, and this is my favorite time to visit Hirosaki.

Hana-ikada/Raft of Flowers
Nippon.com (2018). Source: (article)

Later in the week, when the blooms begin to lose their petals, the water of the moat surrounding the castle is covered by a layer of pink that's gorgeous to see. We would spread a picnic blanket under a free spot under a blooming tree and drink the sinus clearing, local apple sake (Aomori is known for the fruit). The Japanese were always friendly. Sometimes they'd share their bento and sake with us and I'd try to communicate in my cobbled together Japanese, and they'd counter with what English they knew. I'm still Facebook friends with some locals I met in Japan.

 (Image Information: personal photo of our tentacle tasting;
photo from May 2013.) 

The food there is fantastic! Usually. I only say usually because I've tried a variety of Japanese food, but the octopus tentacle on a stick defeated me. I bought it from a Japanese vendor who was enthused about an American trying his food so he gave me two. I got my friend to try it with me and we struggled. It was tough, like chewing rubber, and was unexpectedly sour. It's the only Japanese festival food that I'm not a fan of.

Fireworks Over the Castle
Nippon.com (2018). Source: (article)

If you ever make your way to Japan and decide to take a five hour bullet train trip to Aomori, please visit Hirosaki. It'll take your breath away any season, but spring is especially awe inspiring.

Comments

  1. Oh, that is so exciting that you living in Japan like that, Karla! Wow! I recognize that beautiful castle because people have used images in projects/stories for this class. Marvelous! And now I have to try apple sake someday (I am a sake fan!). Do you think you'd like to do a Japanese folklore project for this class? There are some amazing resources online; here are some full-text books with stories from Japan! full-text books with stories from Japan! link ... one of my favorites is this beautiful series: Hasegawa. Japanese Fairy Tale series link... it's wonderful stuff! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apple sake is second only to mango sake in my books. Have you tried the latter? I've found really good bottles of it here in Oklahoma. But ooo that's a good suggestion. I've heard of Momotaro but the other fables are new to me! I'll give it a look. Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
    2. MANGO SAKE: now you have really got my attention!!! and I'm actually living in North Carolina right now... the liquor is all centralized here through something called "ABC" (I have no idea why, ha ha), and it is indeed on the ABC list. So, now I know what I'm going to get the next time I go to the ABC store. Thank you for this intriguing tip!!! :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts