Week 2 Reading Overview


Choose from CLASSICAL and/or BIBLICAL units for Weeks 3 and 4.

Week 3: Homer's Iliad

Week 4: Homer's Odyssey

Choose from MIDDLE EASTERN and/or INDIAN units for Weeks 5 and 6.

Week 5: Arabian Nights

Week 6: Turkish Folktales and Fairy Tales

Choose from ASIAN and/or AFRICAN units for Weeks 7 and 9. [Week 8 is review week.]

Week 7: Japanese Mythology

Week 9: Philippines Folktales

Choose from NATIVE AMERICAN units for Weeks 10 and 11.

Week 10: Great Plains

Week 11: California/Southwest

Choose from BRITISH and/or CELTIC units for Weeks 12 and 13.

Week 12: Robin Hood

Week 13: Nursery Rhymes

Choose from EUROPEAN units for Weeks 14 and 15.

Week 14: Czech

Week 15: Lang II

The Japanese Gods of Sun and Moon
Edit by Angee. Source: (Tumblr)
 
I'm really looking forward to digging more deeply into Japanese mythology, especially Amaterasu and her siblings which is why I chose the images above. Despite living in Japan for four years, I only really have surface knowledge about some of the myths. Yet it's always been fascinating to me how Japan is the land of the sun and it's nobility claims they're descended from her, however only allow men to rule. 
 
It's also been awhile since I read Philippine mythology. I was born and raised there so I'm familiar with the more popular tales of Maria Makiling, dwendes, white ladies, and how certain fruits came about. However, this is a wonderful chance to revisit and share the tales I grew up with to my sons. This week might be a family project between the three of us. 
 
I also chose the Turkish folktales as I have a very good friend in Istanbul. I told her I picked it for week 6 and she wants to read through them together. I feel stories are better enjoyed when shared, and that motivated some of my reading choices this time.

Comments

Popular Posts