Microfiction - Memories

 

 
Paint
Source: Verena Mandragora

Painting
Based off:
John F. Kennedy Jr.

A boy framed on the wall for public scrutiny. His father's family tree was enough to garner attention, it's roots buried deep in US history, gilded bloodline catching the eyes and envy of the American public. The man's death made it worse -- sealing him in the rigid frame of media attention. Not to worry. He'd been painted as a poster child since his youth, accustomed to the art piece he was expected to present as one of the Kennedy heirs. So his tread is careful, his decisions heavily considered (when was the last time he made a choice with abandon?).

 

 
Lost Boys
Source: happythoughtsstudio

Rufio
Based Off:
Hook (film)

King -- they call him. Rufio learns to whisper, "Pan." Then-- "Peter." But being the right-hand man of Neverland's leader makes Rufio privy to Peter's uglier parts. And he wonders if now that he's older, leaner, and no longer a boy -- when his king tire of him? Peter promises adventure. Their days together burst effervescent and without responsibility, their skin tingling with pixie dust but it comes at the price of a shorter life. Because Pan doesn't tolerate adulthood. He doesn't accept his Lost Boys growing up. but it's fair trade, isn't it?

Rufio expected to die young anyway.

 Author's Note: 

Just a set of microfictions from things that influenced me as a kid. 'Hook' was one of my favorite movies growing up, and I recall being riveted to the television on my mom's lap while waiting for any news about John F. Kennedy Jr. when his plane went missing.

Comments

  1. Harana, I really liked reading both of these micro fictions. I also watched Hook growing up and I liked how you condensed the way that the movie made me feel as a kid. I also enjoyed your first micro fiction, "Painting." I don't remember following the Kennedys much, but I thought it was very haunting the way you captured what it must have been like to be part of that family and always be on display. You're an excellent writer. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Harana,

    Wow wow! I loved reading these microfictions! To be honest, I have never seen Hook, and I know very little of the Kennedys, but your writing made me feel as though I was there and could understand what you were feeling, which is the best thing a writer can do. You are a great writer, and I really enjoyed reading these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Harana!
    I think your two microfictions were really interesting!
    I like that you helped show what the inspirations for the two of them were!
    I really liked the first one honestly, I feel it did a really great job of encapsulating what it might have been like to be John F. Kennedy Jr.
    So well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Harana,
    I found these microfictions really interesting. I like that you chose influences from your childhood to choose and write them. I do not know much about the Kennedy family aside from Robert and President Kennedy so I did enjoy getting to feel like I knew how impactful they were. I have not seen Hook in probably ten years but I absolutely love the movie and enjoy how you represented it here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Harana,
    I love reading microfictions - I need to try some of my own one day but the word count is so scary. Anyway, I actually just watched Hook the other day so I love that it was one of your inspirations! Also while I personally didn't follow the Kennedy family a lot growing up, several other people in my family did so I can relate to that. I was actually on a school trip in NYC when the plane went missing so I remember that quite vividly.
    -Eli

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Hrana! Great job on your two micro fiction stories! I love reading microfictions, especially when they are as good as yours. I myself have a hard time writing them. Finding a topic is hard and then condensing it seems to also have its struggles. I thought that it was interesting you drew inspiration from JFK jr missing airplane. I really enjoyed your story of hook as well. It brought a lot of childhood memories asn i watched that film a million times as a kid. The last line was so powerful as well! great job and keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts